2021 has been the first year in which I have practised entirely as an independent lawyer in Madrid. It has been two and a half years since I left active politics and this year that has just ended was key to securing the goal of restarting professionally and moving forward.
Fortunately, 2021 has lived up to expectations. I have established myself as a lawyer, the phone has started ringing regularly and I have been accumulating clients and experience. This is my summary of the year:
1. I attended 13 civil hearings, 5 criminal hearings (for minor offences) and 1 contentious-administrative hearing (for a claim of patrimonial responsibility against the Madrid City Council).
2. Advised several start-ups, particularly in the mobility sector.
3. I collaborated with a VC based in London.
4. I drafted several commercial contracts.
5. I initiated a mediation.
6. Advised a Mexican company interested in the Spanish market.
7. I did political consultancy.
8. I collaborated with a law firm based in Hamburg.
9. I initiated discussions to advise on an inheritance.
10. And, of course, I responded to a myriad of queries (many of them rentals and evictions) that were never followed up.
My speciality as a lawyer, therefore, is increasingly focused on start-ups, trials, conflict resolution, contracts, political advice and, also, inheritances.
The goal for 2022 is to continue to grow and, with a bit of luck, to found my own law firm.
I wish you a Happy New Year and all the best in 2022.